Friday, August 04, 2006

No visitors today!

I have just put in a fat order for lutestrings and fretgut to Bridgewood and Neitzert and now I am keeping my eyes closed until the bill comes in. But when I do put on new strings and frets, I realise how much difference they make. The old ones gradually, insidiously, get slacker day by day, they start buzzing, I try to adjust my playing to accommodate them, it never really works.... So I look forward to the new life next week.

Still, strings are cheap compared to car repairs. Yesterday I finally, two years on, got round to changing the smashed driver's rearview mirror. €122 that cost, for the glass and the shell round the outside. Less than it would have cost in London, I console myself.

Also yesterday I took in the tronçonneuse (chain saw) for a service, only to discover that the shop is closed for 3 weeks summer holiday. August is going to be like this. The library has closed down for two weeks too. Even during the open season, shops all close down for a two-hour lunchbreak, and quite a few smaller ones are closed on Mondays too. I think it's to do with the 35 hour week. No-one told M.Ducat, the baker, though - he's open 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The computers are sweating today as we try to get things done before the next round of summer visitors arrives tomorrow. Lowri is writing her second article for Sheet Music Review (the first one went in yesterday and they like it, hurrah). I am busy writing out fresh theorbo continuo parts for the Monteverdi Vespers concert in Ely. And practising them.

According to the Classic FM website (don't know how long this link will last) Natalie Wheen is playing some music by my group The Chuckerbutty Ocarina Quartet this weekend. Hurrah again.

No comments: