Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Curse of Seaview

Back from England yesterday. The queues at Stansted have disappeared. What's going on? Lowri's parents travelled with me and are now visiting for a few days.

As usual, I was struck by the Curse of Seaview while staying at Michael's house in Cambridge, and woke up on my first morning feeling absolutely lousy. Michael assured me that we'd only drunk a modest amount of wine the previous evening, but I'm not convinced.

Following my lunchtime recital, I did a workshop on baroque guitar for the music students at Anglia Ruskin University (attendance compulsory). The course director, an enthusiast actually, briefed me by explaining:

a) that Friday afternoon was the 'graveyard slot' with everybody keen to get away for the weekend, and no-one would mind a bit if I finished early
b) the music technology students had never even heard of Handel and would have no idea what I was talking about.

In fact they all knew about modern guitars, the music technologists more than most. So it was easy to make that connection, and everyone seemed to be bright and interested and enjoyed the presentation. A couple of the students played some Corelli with me on violin, cello and guitar. Afterwards, an unlikely-looking electric guitarist enthused to me about how cool Corelli was, how he'd been playing the solo violin parts on guitar, and where could he buy nylgut strings from?

No comments: